Dogs and chocolates are not friends! | Village Vets
 theobromine,dog ate chocolate cake, dog ate chocolate symptom,s dog chocolate poisoningt imeline, emargency vet, emergency vet dublin

If there is one thing every dog owner should know is that dogs and chocolates are not friends… in fact, chocolate is very harmful to dogs. You should never give your dog chocolate under any circumstances because it can be fatal. Even if you are a chocolate lover and there is always chocolate in your house, you should keep it in a place away from your dog’s reach to make sure your dog cannot access it.

 theobromine,dog ate chocolate cake, dog ate chocolate symptom,s dog chocolate poisoningt imeline, emargency vet, emergency vet dublin

What to do when the dog ate chocolate?

Often people will start panicking and look for the answer to “what to do when dog ate chocolate?” The answer is fairly simple – if you have seen your dog eating chocolate or you suspect that it might have eaten chocolate, you should immediately call the vet. The vet will advise you what you should do in such a case of emergency.

It is very important to know the type and amount of chocolate your dog has eaten. Never forget to keep the wrapper of the chocolate for the information which will be helpful to the vet when they examine your dog.

Why is chocolate toxic to dogs?

Chocolate contains both caffeine and theobromine, both of which speed up the heart rate and stimulate your dog’s nervous system. Theobromine, in particular, is harmful as it can cause your dog to experience diarrhoea, vomiting, urination, excessive thirst, excitability, and more. The dog’s health will depend on the type and amount of chocolate it has consumed as well as the weight of your dog. Different types of chocolates have different concentrations of toxic substances. Chocolates can also cause severe problems like seizures and changes in your dog’s heart rate which can be fatal to your dog.

Warning Symptoms of Dog Poisoning

  • Loss of Appetite
  • Drooling
  • Vomiting
  • Rapid Heart Rate
     

How you can prevent your dog from eating chocolates?

As you know chocolate is fatal to dogs, it is often recommended that pet owners should teach their dogs how to stay away from chocolates. Here are some of the habits that will help you prevent your dogs from sneaking chocolates.

 theobromine,dog ate chocolate cake, dog ate chocolate symptom,s dog chocolate poisoningt imeline, emargency vet, emergency vet dublin

Put the chocolate away

The first measure you can take is by making sure you keep away all chocolate items to make sure your dog cannot reach them. You should remind kids (if you have any), as well as guests to never leave out chocolates at places where dogs can reach them. Even during holidays like Halloween, Easter Sunday, or Hanukkah, you should keep the chocolates away from open areas and countertops.

Teach your dog “leave it”

There are times when the command “leave it” can be extremely effective. This is certainly the case with preventing the dogs from eating chocolates any time it falls on the ground or is felt within their reach.

Crate train your dog

Arguably the safest way of ensuring that your dog doesn’t eat such harmful things is to crate train it. You can find a sturdy crate large enough for your dog for the dog and make it a comfortable and safe place to retreat to when it wants to be alone. You can offer your dog toys, a comfy blanket, and some treats to make it feel like the crate is its personal den.

 

How to protect your dog in this case of emergency?

Usually, your dog will begin to show such signs within 4 hours of consumption of chocolate but in some cases, it can even take up to 24 hours and these signs can last up to a few days.

As soon as you notice your dog has consumed chocolate, you should immediately call a vet. The vet will examine the dog and advise you what you should do next. Sometimes, your dog might even be given an injection to make your dog vomit out the chocolate for preventing the chocolate from causing any further problem to your dog. There might even be a situation where you can’t find an emergency vet Dublin and your dog would be needed to stay at a hospital for supportive treatment.

If the situation is pretty severe and you want the services of a professional veterinary clinic, you can turn to Village Vets. We will provide your dog with the best care as well as open 7 days a week and we give your pets fast access to treatments. Here, we will take proper care of your dog as our X-Ray, Ultrasound, Laboratory services will help us find out every possible detail to give your pet a fast diagnosis.

 theobromine,dog ate chocolate cake, dog ate chocolate symptom,s dog chocolate poisoningt imeline, emargency vet, emergency vet dublin

We are one of the few Emergency Vet Hospitals in Dublin & Meath that open on Sundays & Bank Holidays. Our Clonsilla and Dundrum Hospitals are open 7 days a week and will have access to all your medical records from any of our other practices.

Find us on a map:

Dundrum

Clonsilla

To find out more check : https://www.emergencyvet.ie/

 

 

 

 

 

randomness