dog | Village Vets

Protect your cats from upcoming winters!!

cats and antifreeze, antifreeze

Cold winter weather presents challenges to audience cat lovers. This winter is predicted to be one of bitter cold and numbing wetness. Awareness about the risks of anti freeze poisoning in cats is mandatory for cat lovers.

Ethylene glycol poisoning in cats

Antifreeze poisoning is mostly  associated with cats or pets licking antifreeze drips or spills off the ground. For a cat as little as a teaspoon can be fatal. The toxic element in antifreeze is ethylene glycol which can be found in other products as well.

The ultimate gift for all pets

christmas presents,christmas_presents_christmas_present_for_dog_vaccines_veterinary_dog_cat_pet_health_plan_puppy_village_vets_dublin

It’s that time of the year again. Christmas is around the corner and the festivities bring the excitement of planning and experimenting with new ideas. Markets are swollen with infinite gifting options. Diverse alternatives to the more traditional ones with newer, more unconventional and quirkier modifications are available. You are always on a mission to make your friends and family feel happy and special. Besides your family and friends, the happiness of your pet, an integral part of your family is essential as well.

Stenotic Nares in Dogs

stenotic nares, flat face dog surgery, dog nose surgery

Some people think your dog's excessive snorting is an endearing part of his personality. Yet you know your pooch is a mouth-breather because their stenotic nares (aka their nasal passages or nostrils) are too narrow. Fortunately, his nasal issue can be fixed by surgery. But what's the price of freer breathing?

Stop using pugs as advertising accessories!

pug, adverts and pugs, pug accessories

Dear Eimer,

I am writing as a vet to express my concern over todays advert in the Sunday Business Post  featuring a brachycephalic (flat-faced) dog.

Flat faced breeds, including Pugs, French bulldogs and British bulldogs have boomed in popularity over recent years, fuelled by the media, celebrities and the use of these dogs in  advertising. However, these breeds struggle with serious and often life-limiting health problems. 

Puppy swallows arrow

arrow dog, dog that swallowed an arrow

 

A 4 month old Hungarian Vizsla called Loki  came into our Stillorgan Clinic very bouncy and full of life. But there was something wrong.

His owners had noticed that Loki had vomited four days previous. They suspected that Loki may have eaten something unusual.

His temperature was normal and he was in great form until our vet Ruth Wolfson felt his tummy and could feel a lump the size of a plum in there.

randomness