What Do I Do If My Dog Eats Chocolate? | Village Vets
what if my dog eats chocolate?

Chocolate is harmful  to dogs. Never give your dog chocolate. If there is chocolate in your house, keep it in a safe place where the dog cannot access it.

If you see your dog eating chocolate or suspect, they may have eaten it and you are not sure, please call the vet immediately. The vet can advise you what to do.

It is important to know both the amount and type of chocolate eaten. Keep the chocolate wrapper as the  information can be helpful to the vet.

The substance in chocolate that is harmful is Theobromine. It can cause your dog to experience vomiting, diarrhoea, excitability, excessive thirst and urination. It can also cause more severe signs such as seizures and changes to the heart rate, which can sometimes be fatal.

Usually the dog shows these signs within  4 hours of eating the chocolate, but it can take up to 24 hours and the signs can last a few days.

The vet will advise you what to do when you call them. Sometimes the dog may be given an injection to make it vomit  up the chocolate to prevent it causing  further problems to the dog.

Sometimes the dog  may need to stay in the hospital for more supportive treatment.

So call us at Village Vets  as you can. The sooner we know, the sooner  we can help